Jobless man burns house, kills self by slashing wrist - Cebu Circle | Cebu City, Philippines

Post Top Ad

Friday, December 3, 2010

Jobless man burns house, kills self by slashing wrist

12/03/2010 - A 39-YEAR-OLD man believed to be mentally ill allegedly set the one-bedroom house he shared with his mother and his sister’s family on fire before killing himself yesterday morning. Glenn Manguila, single, and a resident of Area 5 of the Maghaway Housing Project in the mountain barangay of Maghaway, Talisay City slashed his wrist.
“Una na lang ko nimo, ma (I’ll go ahead),” he told his mother Rena at past 10 a.m. before he cut his wrist with a kitchen knife. Rena said she tried to stop him from hurting himself, but she got hurt when they grappled for the knife. She said her son was too strong for her so she sought help from the neighbors. But the neighbors were scared to go near Manguila who was holding a knife.
Rena called the police but found the house on fire when she returned. Manguila had no steady job and would run errands. He had worked as a kitchen helper in a restaurant in Talisay City. “He was depressed lately. He told me he felt bad because he felt he was insulted by the owner of the restaurant last Oct. 30,” Rena said.
City Fire Marshal Felipe Canillas said three fire trucks and an ambulance rushed to the scene after Cris Selma, a neighbor, called up the city fire station for help. Manguila was in the house.
Firefighters had the fire, tapped at 10:30 a.m., under control in five minutes, preventing it from spreading to neighboring houses. Canillas said the fire gobbled up the wooden partitions of the house, leaving only its concrete structure standing. Initially, he theorized that Manguila deliberately torched a pile of clothes in his room with a match. Apart from the slashed wound, Canillas believed Manguila died of asphyxiation, as he never got out of the burning house.
Firemen didn’t touch his remains until homicide policemen arrived. Manguila was the eldest of three and was confined in a government-run mental ward in Cebu City last year. His body was taken to the St. Francis Funeral Home in Cebu City for autopsy (Sun Star)


  1. This is one of the worse things I've read this week. So depressing and unfortunate.

  2. That's bad and so sad.


Post Top Ad