3 killed as fire hits firecracker stores in Cebu - Cebu Circle | Cebu City, Philippines

Post Top Ad

Friday, December 25, 2009

3 killed as fire hits firecracker stores in Cebu

Three people were reported killed after a fire razed 46 firecracker stores in Mandaue City in Cebu province Thursday night.Radio dzBB's Cebu affiliate reported the fire started at 10:36 p.m. at the middle part of the row of fireworks stores at Sentro village in Mandaue City.The fatalities were initially identified as Minumba Bulao, a pregnant woman; Acmad Villacorta Barode, 7; and Osama bin Ibrahim Renabaca, 8.Initial investigation showed the fire started when a buyer was testing a firecracker at one of the shops, and a lighted "kwitis" being tested flew toward the other stalls.The fire reached the second alarm and was placed under control after one hour, but not before wiping out 46 stalls and razing a multi-cab and some motorcycles and bicycles parked near the area.The incident prompted Bureau of Fire Protection acting head Chief Superintendent Rolando Badilla to remind the public to take precautions against fires.In a radio interview, Badilla particularly urged people near firecracker stores to observe the no-smoking rule."Yung no-smoking sa area kung maari (sundan), maraming nadidisgrasya (Please follow the no-smoking rule in firecracker zones, especially near fireworks stores. Many tragedies have taken place because of some people’s inability to follow this rule)," Badilla said in an interviewon dzXL radio.Badilla also reminded the public to keep watch over their cooking, which he noted had caused a big fire that left more than 2,000 families homeless in Pasay City.He also appealed to residents to unplug their Christmas lights before retiring for the night, lest the appliances overheat and start fires."Ang Christmas lights di pwedeng buksan magdamagan (Christmas lights should not be left on overnight)," he said

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Top Ad